Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Breastfeeding or the lack therof...

Let me start out here by exclaming that I whole-heartedly support breastfeeding moms! I applaud you! I admire you! I truly do! Now let me explain my situation/story...


I recently made the decision that with any future children I would not even attempt to breastfeed but go straight to the bottle with it being filled with formula. I don't want to - even as I say this I cringe thinking about it because I do truly believe in the benefits for baby & mother of breastfeeding. However, after having my 3rd child in January & my 2nd attempt at breastfeeding I have decided it was not worth the cost of mine or my baby's emotional well-being. I have dealt with PPD after each of the birth's of my children and have struggled with the demands new motherhood brings each time. I am lucky if I get a one good meal in sometime during the first few weeks which makes milk supply a issue frequently. Latch on is also a huge issue for me & my babies. I react in turn by getting angry, depressed, fustrated, guilt-ridden, weepy & even suicidal with this & all the other issues at hand. I have often been bogged down in pressure from family & friends to breastfeed and while they do so with good intentions it just makes me feel worse. I have experienced everything in the breastfeeding department from extremem pressure so much as to say I am not a good mother if I don't breastfeed to basically give up. It may seem to the naked eye that I am doing the latter, but I have come to this on decision on my own. I feel the need for emotional stability for myself and a new baby is far more important than if I breastfeed.

I have no clue as to why I am sharing all this except maybe some poor soul will come upon my words & realize she is not alone & if she too can choose this path.

2 comments:

Stamp With Linz said...

I have a hard time too, hun! No worries...you just do the best you can for the baby & yourself. That's all that matters, ignore all the prejudices & focus on the important stuff. :)

Moore Fun Stories said...

I agree with Lindsey. You do what's best for yourself and baby. Others are not wearing your shoes, so, don't pay attention to what they have to say. You are a great mom with 2 pretty cool kids. Keep up the great work.